Unlocking the Power of Life Science, Research & Innovation
Ventas is the leading owner of university-based Life Science, Research & Innovation (R&I) real estate. We continue to grow this portfolio ambitiously through ground-up development and asset acquisitions.
Demand for life science, research and innovation real estate is driven by robust and increasing capital flows into biomedical and scientific health research from private firms and government sources, including more than $40 billion from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in 2020 alone. Over 170 million U.S. individuals are expected to suffer from at least one chronic condition by 20301, and therapies to manage these conditions are key to cost effective healthcare delivery, improved quality of life and longer life expectancy. Biomedical research and innovation have the capacity to make our aging population live longer, healthier lives, reduce the cost of care, improve the outcomes from chronic disease and even develop groundbreaking vaccines in the midst of a pandemic in record time.
Ventas now owns or has investments in a 10M sq. ft. Life Science, R&I portfolio, including developments underway:
- Residing on the campuses of over 17 top tier research universities collectively ranking in the top 5% of all NIH funding and conducting over 10% of all university life science research and development in the United States
- Including a presence in 5 of the top 6 life science clusters: San Francisco, CA; Cambridge MA; Maryland-DC; Raleigh-Durham, NC & Philadelphia, PA
- Containing 43 operating properties and spanning 8M sq. ft.
- Including 4 in-progress developments, consisting of over 2M additional sq. ft., including the recently announced project with UC Davis
Arizona State University
College of Nursing and Health Professions
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO
The Birthplace of Biotechnology
- Class A trophy portfolio of three newly developed or renovated buildings totaling nearly 800,000 square feet, strategically situated at the entrance to the South San Francisco life science cluster
- Purpose-built for advanced research functions and predominantly dedicated to best-in-class lab space supporting biotechnology and other life science research
The Intersection of Academic Medicine & Research
- Class A portfolio of 454,000 square feet strategically located adjacent to Johns Hopkins Medical Campus and in the 4th ranked life science cluster
Spurring Life-Changing Innovation through Vibrant Knowledge Communities
The Ventas Team
Life Science, Research & Innovation
Peter J. Bulgarelli
Executive Vice President, Office; President and CEO,
Lillibridge Healthcare Services
1: Wu, S., Green, A Project of Chronic Illness Prevalence and Cost Inflation, RAND Corporation (2000)